Thursday, October 7, 2010

Post-Period Discharge, Anyone?

Okay so usually I am not as observant as I really should be about when I have discharge and when I don't.  We've all had it since we were 12 or so, right?  But I have particularly noticed this time around that I have a lot of discharge, and it started right after my period ended on Friday - since then: discharge city.  Does anyone else experience this post-period discharge?  Should I be concerned or just go with it - I know it's normal to have discharge.  I don't know - I guess I just want to hear from you about your discharge patterns.  Wow, what a weird thing to say!  But it's true, I want to know your discharge habits!

4 comments:

Esther said...

Ahh! My computer ate my comment!

That's okay. This one will be more succinct.

My mom once described her discharge as looking like "boiled cabbage." I think there's a wide range of normal discharge. I say if it doesn't look or smell too funky, and if it's not extra itchy or stingy, it's probably normal, even if there's a lot of it.

I have days during my cycle that I get droolier -- like, just soaked my undies drooly. I totally sympathize :)

Anonymous said...

How long did this period last?

It is normal for me to have a lot of ovulation discharge sometime between 10-14 days after the first day of my period. It's kind of neat, actually.

I don't think I'm getting much discharge immediately post-period lately though. I seem to recall having worse & sickly discharge when I was at the worst point with the vulva problems. And any time it (or me) gets sick, the discharge will reflect that.

P said...

I have light discharge for a day or two after my period with light spotting. And then about 10 days later, during ovulation, it gets wetter and heavier.

I have a suggestion. Pick up a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. That book taught me so much about my monthly cycle, hormones, and just general gynecological health. Also, since you aren't on hormonal birth control, it offers a great alternative to pharmaceuticals for preventing pregnancy.

Sarah said...

My period lasted about 5 days, sort of normal. The discharge is finally tapering off (I think) after over a week of messy underwear. Thanks for the book suggestion. I'll have to pick that up.