Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Bladder Friendly Diet

I've been trying the bladder friendly diet for about a week and a half now.  It's going okay.  It might be too soon to say whether it's really working, but I will say that I haven't had any burning for several days.  I've been keeping a food/burning journal so that I can see any correlations between what foods I eat and how my vagina feels.  The last time I reported burning was on Monday, so I've had three days of no burning.  Is it the food or just a coincidence?  I don't know.

The hardest part for me with this diet is just having to restrict myself.  I'm used to just eating whatever I want (usually pretty healthy) and now I have to think about everything.  The worst is the fruit and vegetable situation.  There are very few fruits I am allowed to eat and although I can eat most vegetables, I have yet to find a good salad dressing that doesn't have any forbidden ingredients in it.  I've made two salad dressings - one that was apple based and one that was cottage cheese based - they were both disgusting!

I have cheated a couple times.  I ate chocolate one day (because we had International Night at my school and my students wanted me to try what they made - I had to do it!) and I have probably had a few ingredients when going out to eat that were on the NO list.  But I've been pretty good.  This weekend I will start with adding back in bananas and see how that goes.  I'm starving for fruit!  I can only eat apples, pears, and blueberries.  I'm not a big apple fan, blueberries are not in season and aren't that great, so I've been eating pears...just pears.  I really hope that I am not sensitive to bananas.  After that I'll add something else - not sure what yet.

I'm hoping that maybe there are just a few foods that cause sensitivity and that eventually I can add most of the foods back in.  It's just too restrictive for a food lover like me to do this diet forever.  It's impressive that I've lasted this long (I know that's sad, it's been less than 2 weeks.  But I love food!).

I'll try to keep you updated on how the diet goes.  So far so good in the burning department, but I feel seriously deprived of fruit and chocolate!

2 comments:

Jaene said...

I am so happy to hear that your burning is getting better:) I hope you are able to start eating your fruits again without problem!

Anonymous said...

let us know how the diets going in a few weeks! I am going to give this diet a try, I think!